For as long as Damon Hellandbrand can remember he have always had a love for art.
As a child he would spend countless hours trying to replicate the art of Walt Disney.
As a teen he gravitated towards the works of Ralph McQuarrie, Boris Vallejo and Frank Frazetta.
Today he’s fascinated and inspired by all forms of art, from the great masters of the past to the current masters of the present, as well as the amazing works of mother nature!
His current process for creating art is as follows:
- Think of something cool to draw.
- Scribble several quick thumbnail sketches and choose the one which best represents the germ of an idea swirling around his mind’s eye.
- Begin sketching with purpose and flesh out the idea only to realize it’s not working.
- Repeat step 2. and settle upon a new direction.
- Again, back to fleshing out the illustration using pencil, watercolor, acrylics, charcoal…basically whatever medium he’s in the mood for.
- The last step is to import the illustration into Corel Painter to further explore it’s potential.